West Kano Irrigation Scheme is located in the Kano plains between Nandi escarpment and Nyabondo plateau on the shores of Lake Victoria in Kisumu County. The scheme was constructed in the year 1974 and become operational in 1976. The scheme has 837 farmers with gross area of 4396 acres. The gross farm land area is 2230 acre and farm size of 2-4 acres per farmer. The scheme irrigation water is abstracted by pumping from Lake Victoria and water drainage is also by pumping back to the Lake.The scheme has a population dependent of about 30,000 people
- Location/County – Kisumu County
- Year of establishment – 1974
- Gazetted Area – 4,450 Acres
- Main Crop – Rice
- Area under Irrigation – 2,250 Acres
- Source of irrigation water – Lake Victoria
- No. of household farmers – 836 Households
- Type of irrigation – Water is abstracted by pumping from Lake Victoria and water drainage is also by pumping back to the Lake.
- Other Crops
During this season 1448 acres have been opened for rice cropping (IR 2793-80-1)
Projected Benefits/ Benefits being realized
It is expected that by the end of this season a total of 5352 tonnes of paddy rice will be harvested and gross income of 187.3 million realized.
Other benefits include;
food security, and employment.