The Ahero Irrigation Scheme is located In the Kano plains between Nandi Escarpment and Nyabondo Plateau. The scheme was started as a pilot project to explore the feasibility of irrigation in the Kano Plains.Construction of the scheme started in 1966 and operations started in 1969.
- Location/County – Kisumu County, Muhoroni Sub-county
- Year of establishment – 1966
- Gazetted Area – 4,176 Acres
- Main Crop – Rice of varieties are 90% Sindano (IR-2793 & ITA 310), 5% aromatic. (Basmat-370) and 5% hybrid (Arize Tej Gold & Arize 6444 Gold)
- Area under Irrigation – 7,868 Acres
- Source of irrigation water – River Nyando
- No. of household farmers – 3,600 farmers and 30,000 dependents
- Type of irrigation – Basin Irrigation
- Other Crops – Soybeans (seed) – contracted by SeedCo ltd-Kitale. Soybeans (commercial) – contracted by Josiche Co. ltd- Nakuru. Watermelon, Maize, Tomatoes, Sorghum and Cowpeas.
The main crop grown in Ahero Irrigation Scheme is rice. The scheme produces 22,000 Metric Tonnes (MT) annually. The Authority is working to increase the acreage under irrigation in these schemes by10,368 acres by December 2022. These will increase the rice production to 29,000 MT.
Projected Benefits/ Benefits being realized
- Food security,
- Employment creation,
- Wealth creation thereby improving living standards (e.g. Health, Education, Shelter, and general economic growth of the population)
- Supply of fresh produce (watermelon and tomatoes) to town centres.