PRESIDENT WILLIAM SAMOEI RUTO, PHD., EGH DOES AN EXTENSIVE TOUR OF GALANA KULALU FOOD SECURITY PROJECT
Congratulations Eng. Charles Muasya for being appointed by the Board of Directors as the Acting Chief Executive Officer of the National Irrigation Authority. We look forward to working with you in achieving food security and nutrition in Kenya by delivering water to every irrigable acre. Hongera.
Today January 3rd 2023, H.E the President William Samoei Ruto, PhD., EGH had an extensive tour of Galana Kulalu Food Security Project accompanied by The CS Ministry of Water, Sanitation and Irrigation Hon. Alice Wahome and Governors Hon. Johnson Sakaja of Nairobi, Abdulswamad Nassir of Mombasa, Gideon Mung’aro of Kilifi and Rt Maj Dhado Godana of Tana River County.
They were received the PS State Department for Irrigation Gitonga Mugambi, EBS, NIA Chairman Hon. Eng. Joshua Toro, Ag. CEO Eng. Charles Muasya and DGM Planning Eng. Vincent Kabuti, OGW.
After an extensive tour, the president directed as follows:
- The planned subdivision into settlement parcels is revoked/ cancelled.
- Private Sector and NIA on behalf of GoK under Private -Public Partnership (PPP) commence production of food starting with maize in Feb 2023 in the 10,000 acres that are already installed with Irrigation infrastructure.
- An additional 10,000 acres be prepared for production in 6 months under PPP.
- GoK through NIA to construct a dam beginning April 2023 to put another 350,000 acres under Food production.
- GoK to work out a model for PPP Food production in the additional 350,000 acres to be ready in 6months.
NIA is committed to delivering water to every irrigable acre and ensuring Food Security in Kenya.